Saturday, April 4, 2009

Script Blitz: April 3

2 Pages this time. Didn't feel bad about not hitting the 3-page mark, because I wrote 5 the day before... and I figured out a few cool things about one of the characters, so it was a worthwhile 2 pages.

So far, my writing has been scenes that could be in this movie, but in all honesty I'm going to need to sit down and figure this out more. It becomes really difficult working without an outline, especially when there is an ensemble of characters and layers of mystery to unfold. So, I'm going to try to outline this thing. George Lucas says he usually breaks up his stories into 30 or 60 'scenes' just to get the structure right. It's very mathematical, but it gives you a new perspective, from a step back, and can be very helpful. I think I'll try it that way this time, and see where it takes me.

The neat thing about approaching it the way I have been, is that by writing random scenes for the characters, Not only does it help me get a better idea of who the characters are, but it gives me ideas for themes each character can deal with. And most likely I'll be able to use them in the final script. When they were casting for LOST, Damon Lindelof wrote sides for the auditions that weren't in the pilot (a practice I've done before), but if you watch the audition tapes, you can find those scenes in later episodes of the first season. So, it seems apparent that writing character stuff without the limitation of an outline can be very helpful. But of course, at some point, the outline needs to be written. And I plan on doing that this weekend.

So, until next time, cheerio!

No comments: