Tuesday, October 28, 2008

A Quote and a Story

I've got nicotine stains on my fingers
I've got a silver spoon on a chain
I've got a grand piano to prop up my mortal remains
I've got wild staring eyes
I've got a strong urge to fly
But I've got nowhere to fly to
. -Pink Floyd




There was a man who lived for years in agony because his memories felt more real than his present life. His impressions of the past were so immediate that to him his life seemed dull and murky in comparison. He slipped into depression because he spent his life wishing for those moments when he would pass into the other realm, recalling those impressions of his past life. Then one day he walked to the edge of a cliff, pondering the abyss before him. As he was about to slip silently into his memory, the ground crumbled and gave way beneath his feet. Suddenly he was falling, and the rock tumbled around him, plummeting with him a thousand feet toward the ground below. He was weightless, and the wind turned into colors and stung at his face. He could hear every piece of rock crumble as they broke apart in midair around him, his heart raced and his spine tingled as he sensed the sensation of complete freedom combined with sheer terror. At the same moment that he saw the ground rushing up at him, he realized that this was the most alive he had ever felt, more than any memory in his near or distant past. He shouted gleefully in the impossible energy that he felt, and then...

He woke up.

No comments: